I'm Really Glad I Have a Friend Like Betty Who

Hello, everyone. I sold a short story, for actual money, and it's going to be published in a book that's coming out in August. The book is called Lost Films and you can pre-order it here and I'll probably figure out how to make a page you can go to on this blog that has a list of my publications. I also recently started working at a job that isn't retail and is something I actually want to do at all. So things have been going well for me recently. Let's talk about Betty Who.

Betty Who is an Australian pop singer who I first heard while working at Bloomingdale's, the most retail of all the retail jobs I've worked. Most of the time it's a curse to listen to the music they play in the store where you work forty (or more) hours a week, so when a song I didn't hate came on I tried to make the most of it. And Betty Who's songs kinda made me want to dance, so I memorized a lyric or two and looked her up. I thought she might have some fun catchy songs about being in love or whatever those songs are talking about when they say they need you tonight or want a taste of you. What a joy it was to discover that she was actually a bold proclaimer of the sadness that lies at the heart of all pop love songs, singing lines like "I love it when you're lonely; that's when we feel the same" in a head voice sweet and ephemeral as ice cream melting in summer. The thesis statement of her album Take Me When You Go, the one from which they played the songs I heard at Bloomingdale's, is "if you've got a broken heart, then you're just like me." Well, I did, and so I've been a fan of Betty Who's work ever since.

All of this is to say that she has a new EP out now called Betty, Pt. 1 and it's her first release since she left her major label and went indie (which, does that mean she's not a pop artist? what the heck does it mean to be a pop artist?) and it's so good and I just feel so happy for her. "Ignore Me" is the best love-song-that's-actually-about-the-artist's-relationship-with-her-label-and-her-own-art since Sara Bareilles destroyed 2007 with "Love Song," "Taste" is pure gleeful nihilism, and I listened to "Friend Like Me" on the way to my first day at my new job this morning and got more emotional than I care to admit, because it's about someone actually liking you, and it reminds you that it's okay to be happy. We could all use a friend like that sometimes. I often feel like Betty Who's songs are my secret friend because I don't know anyone else who knows her work. But I want them to be everyone else's secret friend too.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Story Notes on "To My (Final) Girl"

Welcome, or How Kiki's Delivery Service Taught Me About Emotional Logic

Why Oh Why Can Some Books Be Read So Much More Quickly Than Others?